Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday Sandwich: Tuna Melt

I have been feeling a little under the weather recently. I don’t mean in the sick sense of the word though I have been coughing a bit which leads me irrationally to believe I have contracted swine flu. I mean generally run down due to a lack of sleep and my stubborn allergies. Ever since I frolicked around out of doors as a toddler I have suffered from seasonal allergies; mainly spring when flowers go crazy and pollen runs rampant. Sniffling, sneezing, and itchy eyes are the principal symptoms of this springtime malady which rears its ugly head at the first sign of warm weather. This morning I awoke after a fantastic night’s sleep, hitting the pillow early and rising late. I was feeling a sandwich given I had missed the breakfast window and rummaged around the refrigerator to see what I could throw together. I have been on a sandwich kick since I revisited my early Pomander posts, the first one in particular featuring a warm chicken salad sandwich on wheat. I found a can of tuna in olive oil in the pantry along with a few slices of honey oat bread. Thankfully there are always a ton of fresh herbs in my crisper, one of the guiding flavor components in my cooking. I whisked together some mayonnaise, dill, cilantro, parsley, chopped caper berries, and salt & pepper to make an herbed mayo. I added the flaked tuna, drained well of excess olive oil, to the mayo and spread it on a piece of toasted bread. I broiled the second piece of bread topped with a few slices of aged Comté, the same cheese I used on my chicken sandwich. The resulting dish was both tasty and filling with a generous mound of herbed tuna salad and nutty, salty cheese to compliment the fish. What can I say except sandwiches are great. As always, I encourage you to enjoy and share delicious food and home cooked meals with yourself and others!

No comments: