Monday, April 27, 2009

Throwback: First Ever Pomander Saveur Post

It has been almost a year since I hatched the crazy idea to write about food in a fun way intended for the enjoyment of my friends and family. Blogging has in recent years exploded on the scene and now virtually everyone can voice his or her opinion via blog. I had been reading a number of food blogs, mainly by famous chefs and amateur home cooks, and decided to give it a shot. Pomander Saveur is the second incarnation of my efforts to share my home cooked meals and experiences in the kitchen. The first was email-based with the working title “Gustemest Food Blog”. I would cook a meal and then email everyone on my contact list the photos with a few lines of text describing each dish. I have since moved to a more formalized format though the content and arrangement of the site maintain the flow of my initial endeavors in Internet food writing. People to this day ask me about the very first email, Gustemest Vol. 1, featuring a tarragon chicken sandwich and a carrot slaw. The sandwich was made with leftover roasted chicken that I had made for friends the night before. I pulled the chicken apart and tossed it with mayo, Dijon, chopped tarragon, golden raisins, and salt & pepper before throwing it between two pieces of wheat bread with melted ComtĂ©. This was one of the best sandwiches I have ever made, and I have enjoyed it many times since. I recommend the combination of raisins, fresh herbs, and cold chicken; you will be pleasantly surprised how easily they come together.

In addition to the robust chicken sandwich I had a side salad of carrot slaw. I love to grate carrots and toss them with any number of vinaigrettes or sauces to make a fresh spring/summer salad to accompany barbecue or sandwiches, picnics or potlucks. For this particular carrot slaw I grated a few carrots on the medium-hole side of a cheese grater then tossed the vibrant ribbons with lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, sesame seeds, and salt & pepper. Carrots can be eaten raw as often as cooked, leaving the crisp texture and nutrient content of the carrot unmanipulated. The warm sandwich and cold citrusy salad contrasted beautifully and I was thrilled to have my first entry ready for the presses. This is a nostalgic reminiscence in honor of that notable lunch repast that started it all. The Gustemest, or precursor to Pomander Saveur, will be celebrating its one year anniversary soon and I am thrilled remember my very first foyer into food writing. As always, I encourage you to enjoy and share delicious food and home cooked meals with yourself and others!

No comments: