Monday, June 15, 2009

Tomato Mozzarella

Tomato mozzarella is a combination as legendary as peanut butter and jelly or macaroni and cheese, a perfect match of two relatively basic ingredients that compliment each other wonderfully. I am a big fan of insalata caprese, the textbook Italian appetizer of tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and olive oil. It is truly one of my favorite dishes that I have been eating for as long as I can remember. Both of my parents love tomato mozzarella and make it often whether entertaining company or cooking alone. Late July and August is the ideal time for eating this tasty combo though any tomato that tastes vaguely like a tomato can be substituted for the jewel-like heirlooms of summer. I wanted to contribute a dish to lunch yesterday in addition to a second batch of my Asian slaw so I threw together a slightly unorthodox tomato mozzarella using parsley instead of basil. There was already a platter of caprese at the other end of the table so the parsley variation served to mix things up and bring another flavor to the party. Tomato mozzarella rocks and if there is anybody out there that hasn’t already, I highly recommend running out and rocking this mouthwatering mélange. As always, I encourage you to enjoy and share delicious food and home cooked meals with yourself and others!

No comments: