Monday, May 4, 2009

Saba And Scramble

It seems I have grown overly attached to poached eggs, shunning other egg incarnations in favor of their delicate texture and perfectly runny yolks. Don’t get me wrong, poached eggs are fantastic and versatile whether on their own or as a garnish to salads, soups, and warm appetizers. Despite my high opinion of poaching it is time move on and reincorporate other methods of cooking eggs into my arsenal. Omelets used to be my go to but they are hard to make for a group of hungry hung-over diners on Sunday morning, making you feel like a short order chef. I then moved on to scrambles, the most basic of techniques, using several ingredients loosely with lots of improvisation to see what flavor combinations would work. My favorite is chorizo, smoked Gouda, and scallion scramble accompanied by wheat toast generously buttered with Kerry Gold Irish butter. Scrumptious. The last of my egg periods prior to my poaching bout was devoted to frittatas or tortillas as they call them in Spain; the thick fluffy egg dishes that look almost like quiches or cakes. They typically serve them in tapas joints with bell peppers, onions, and potatoes involving a combination of sautéing and then broiling to evenly cook the eggs. I made one for Easter lunch as a matter of fact with bacon, bell pepper, and scallions mirroring the Spanish paragon. I closed my poached egg chapter this morning with a scramble, returning to my most trusted method of cooking eggs. I tossed three of my mother’s Red Hen Farm eggs with Greek feta, a minced shallot, and salt & pepper. After the eggs had cooked, just firm and in large curds, I topped them with fines herbs namely tarragon, cilantro, and parsley. The eggs were perfectly cooked and packed with Mediterranean flavor that I gobbled up in two seconds flat with a little toast and a unique preserve.

My good friend Jessica’s mother, a wine maker and distributor extraordinaire, owns and operates Topanga Vineyards in California. Sandy is extremely knowledgeable and boasts a formidable array of wines. She also happens to be a very nice person and a true foodie. Jessica recently gave me a small jar of Saba, a wine byproduct made by Sandy herself. It is a thin jam or conserve with a deep purple color and intense grape flavor. It is not overbearingly sweet and has a light tannin taste with a fruity background of both fresh and dried grapes. It is absolutely delicious on anything from toast and pancakes to roasted pork or cheese boards. Saba is definitely worth checking out though I have no idea about its availability since I was lucky enough to be gifted a jar that I have been eating with shocking speed. Here’s to a tasty breakfast of Saba and scramble. As always, I encourage you to enjoy and share delicious food and home cooked meals with yourself and others!

No comments: