Monday, April 6, 2009

Stormy Monday Breakfast

Poached eggs are a delectable treat indeed though they seem somehow beyond the reach of an amateur cook or home kitchen. This was in fact my view of the light, beautifully cooked, delicate clouds that are poached eggs. I recently made a French bistro classic with frisee, crispy lardons, and a poached egg which prompted me to discover how to poach at home. Like any self-respecting twenty something raised in the technological era, I began to madly Google away. I quickly compiled twelve separate links to detailed how-to-poach sites and experimented with a few different methods. I had it nailed after three eggs after trying to achieve the right runniness for my frisee salad last week. I woke up this past Monday to a stormy early spring haze of rain and dense humidity spliced with the occasional thunderclap. I knew it was going to be a breakfast of whatever I had in the fridge and thankfully there was ample bread and my mother’s farm fresh eggs. I am not saying that I am already a pro, but let’s just say that I had two large eggs poached to airy bliss in a matter of minutes. Here is what I suggest if you want to perfectly poach an egg at home: Set a deep skillet or wide mouthed pan filled with 3 inches of water to a boil, covered. When the water boils, remove lid and add white vinegar and salt. Crack the eggs into individual teacups then submerge the lip of each individual cup into the water, letting each delicately flow out. Cover immediately, turn off the heat, and let stand for 3 minutes.

To complete my stormy Monday breakfast, I placed two perfectly poached eggs over two large pieces of French country bread and cracked my most recent Internet find for a taste. I was surfing online culinary magazines and daily email sites two weeks ago and stumbled across a gastronomic oddity that people were raving about; bacon jam. Jam. Made from bacon. I was impressed and definitely had to try it. I ordered myself a little tin of bacon jam, which they claim is delicious on pancakes, and could not wait to try it. My Monday breakfast was the ripe moment to taste the delicious yet bizarre pork condiment full of bacony flavor, nice smoke, and a mellow spiced sweetness. It was especially good spread liberally on the toast supporting one of the eggs; a nest built for a queen in my opinion. As always, I encourage you to enjoy and share delicious food and home cooked meals with yourself and others!

No comments: