Sunday, April 12, 2009

BLT Sandwich

Being upstate with my mother always sends my mind (and stomach) wandering down memory lane, remembering the tastes, textures, and times of my childhood in Los Angeles. My parents are both wonderful chefs in their own right but my father was the one that predominantly held court over the kitchen. Whenever she cooked Dorothy would delight my brother, sister, and me with classic American fare derived from the notebooks and index cards left by our grandmother. She also whips up an incredible Indian spread that takes three full days to prepare, a real treat when it happens. Of the many dishes that evoke home and my mom’s cooking, BLT and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup are high on the list. I remember tons of lazy weekend lunches composed of a half sandwich and a small bowl of hot soup enjoyed on a rainy Sunday for example. Even though BLTs are incredibly simple to prepare, my mother’s were always the best, loaded with crisp bacon, fresh romaine, sliced tomato, and mayo. What could be better? I woke up yesterday craving bacon and decided to have an early lunch of BLTs and limeade. I recently discovered limeade and man is it good but that’s another story. I used fresh rye and caraway bread that my mom made to give my BLT a gourmet element and tons of bacon cooked well-done. Before I knew it I was enjoying a fantastic sandwich while remembering the meals of my youth. It is important to have foods that remind you of home, family, and friends and this simple sandwich is one of those nostalgic dishes. As always, I encourage you to enjoy and share delicious food and home cooked meals with yourself and others!

No comments: