Monday, February 16, 2009

Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Oh My!

Last Friday night my buddy Mike and I decided to stay in and cook instead of going out. We wanted to just eat and chill with a movie or some terrible weekend television. After tossing around dinner ideas I blurted out an epiphanic suggestion of sausage and peppers. I love anything pasta and this dish is relatively easy to make with tons of vegetables, carbohydrates, and protein. Sausage and peppers reminds me of my mother and by extension my sister who periodically make the dish and have been for years. We used to eat it regularly when we all lived together in Los Angeles and to this day I think my mom’s is the best although it is normal to hold mom’s cooking on a pedestal. Fettuccini is the go to pasta for this dish and I like to spice mine up with a little jalapeno, the green things in the skillet alongside sliced onions, garlic, and bell peppers.

Mike and I went to the grocery store for the necessary ingredients and then got down to cooking before eventually relaxing with a couple of beers in front of the tube. I set the water to boil while he sliced the vegetables and sautéed them in a hot skillet with a little olive oil. After the vegetables were fully cooked and slightly browned on the edges I browned hot Italian pork sausages in an enameled stew pot and added a large jar of tomato sauce. I used a commercial sauce this time for sheer convenience though normally I am a huge proponent of homemade tomato sauce which is both easy to make and far better than its store bought counterpart. Add the cooked vegetables to the tomato and sausage and let simmer for about 15 or 20 minutes. Toss the fettuccini into the sauce and stir through on the burner before serving with some freshly grated parmesan. I highly recommend this family favorite which serves a big group easily when coupled with a green salad and bread. As always, I encourage you to enjoy and share delicious food and home cooked meals with yourself and others!

No comments: