Saturday, January 3, 2009

Foie Gras, Take Two

The house has been getting quieter as more and more people have left to return to their respective homes. Instead of going out grocery shopping to buy new ingredients, we have been cleaning out the pantry, fridge, and cellar. There is a ton of fresh produce, leftover meats, and cheeses to make it through the remaining days before we head back to Paris. I have taken over the cooking responsibilities to grant my father and Jean-Claude some well deserved rest after spending four consecutive days and nights slaving in the kitchen.

I have been making very simple things that please a crowd like spaghetti Bolognese, vegetable soup, celeriac brandade, and tons of salads. I discovered that the refrigerator held two of the four foie gras prepared for the New Years Eve cocktail hour and promptly served them as the main protein at lunch. I have already described the process of making these delicious homemade foie, one steamed in a bain marie after being marinated in port and one “cooked” in sea salt. My mother always joked that foie tastes and looks like meat peanut butter and I have to agree with her silly observation.

The foie au sel is my favorite though I like the combination of smooth foie and yellowish fat of the cooked foie au porto which pairs wonderfully with fruit compotes and vinegary sauces. I cut the foies into thick slices served with toast, fig compote, and onion jam. Foie gras is rich, elegant, and very filling; reinforcing my philosophy that gourmet food need not be overly complicated. As always, I encourage you to enjoy and share delicious food and home cooked meals with yourself and others!

No comments: